Since 2013, the team here at Momentum has strived to bring you the latest in health care, research, education and community service from Baylor College of Medicine. Time has flown by since our very first blog post and we hope you’ve enjoyed the journey with us so far. To celebrate this milestone, we are highlighting some of our posts that you may have missed.
From skin care to heart health, fitness and nutrition tips to head and neck cancer awareness, Momentum has featured a wide variety of health information and suggestions to help you lead a healthier, more sustainable life. We’ve also featured information on living with disabilities, medical ethics and mental health awareness.
Throughout Baylor’s history, we have been on the forefront of global health care issues and concerns. Our physicians have shared valuable medical insights on topics such as Zika virus, the Ebola epidemic and autism from both scientific and personal perspectives.
Student life and education
Baylor’s diverse and talented student body is key to keeping our school evolving and thriving. Here’s a sampling of Baylor student life.
- Match Day is no doubt one of the most impactful days of a medical student’s career. Check out how our Match Day coverage has evolved over the years.
- In the wake of Hurricane Katrina’s devastating impact on the gulf coast, Baylor welcomed Tulane medical students to finish out their school year in Houston. Take a look back at how the two schools came together.
- Graduation is another pivotal and momentous occasion for Baylor students and families. Read our graduation wrap-ups from 2016, 2015, 2014 and 2013.
- Our newest series, Growing Up Baylor, features former Baylor students who are now faculty members at Baylor. Read about their journeys.
- Many Baylor students have gone on to become prominent researchers in their respective fields, including an alum who created 3D printing technology that is now being utilized to simulate surgeries.
- A Baylor graduate student recently shared his thoughts on the tragic Pulse Nightclub shooting. Read how the medical community has evolved on LGBT health education.
History and community service
We’ve enjoyed sharing Throwback Thursday photos with you, thanks to the Baylor College of Medicine Archives. From the story of college lovebirds to the impact of Tropical Storm Allison, we are honored to bring you Baylor’s history in the form of photos.
Serving the community requires collaboration from those within the medical field and outside of it. Whether it’s student service through the Charity Bowling Ball or St. Baldrick’s Day, or global health initiatives such as the Baylor International Pediatrics Aids Initiative at Texas Children’s Hospital and the Emergency Smart Pod, Momentum has featured the many ways that Baylor’s service programs go beyond hospital doors. Read more about Baylor’s community service initiatives.
We are proud of the progress we’ve made on Momentum and are excited about what’s to come in the future. To all of our writers and contributors, Baylor departments and affiliates, and Momentum readers – thank you for helping us reach 1,000 posts. Here’s to the next thousand!
-By Nicole Blanton