Craving a dish that incorporates summer fruits, vegetables and flavors on the grill? Grab your family and make this grilled shrimp with pasta and pineapple salsa dish for dinner.
The recipe, courtesy Baylor College of Medicine’s Sugar, Heart and life program, makes 12 servings and packs light summer flavor with the sear of the grill at only 408 calories a serving.
Sugar, Heart and Life is an interactive web experience for patients with diabetes and their families. It features a guide to understanding diabetes, tips for eating at home and on the go, interactive games, information on how to accurately read food labels and planning for physical activity.
Grilled Shrimp with Pasta and Pineapple Salsa
- 2 15 oz. cans of pineapple chunks, packed in their own juice, drained
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1- ½ lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 cup cooked rotini pasta
- In a large bowl, combine all the salsa ingredients EXCEPT the shrimp and the pasta.
- Prepare an outside grill with an oiled rack set four inches above the heat source. On a gas grill set the heat to high.
- Grill the shrimp on each side for two minutes.
- Toss the pasta with the salsa, arrange the shrimp on top and serve.
Looking for new health-conscious recipes to incorporate into your meals? Check out our blog’s archive of dietitian-approved meals, sides and treats.