Recipe: Your new go-to muffin
Wake up with a sweet tooth? Step away from the cheese danish and pastry. Move past that sugar-laden cereal and head into the kitchen to make your own health-conscious oat bran muffins.
This muffin recipe, courtesy Baylor College of Medicine’s Sugar, Heart and Life program, packs plenty of fiber and iron at only 113 calories a muffin.
Sugar, Heart and Life is an interactive web experience for patients with diabetes and their families.
It features a guide to understanding diabetes, tips for eating at home and on the go, interactive games, information on how to accurately read food labels and planning for physical activity.
Oat Bran Muffins
- 2 cups oat bran cereal, uncooked
- 2 tsps. baking powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar substitute
- 1/3 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsps. vegetable oil
- 1 cup blueberries, frozen or canned, drained
- Preheat over to 425 degrees. Prepare muffin pans, either with paper baking cups or by spraying the bottoms and sides of pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine in a large bowl the uncooked oat bran cereal, baking powder, brown sugar substitute and non-fat powdered milk. Mix well.
- Add to dry ingredients: water, beaten egg whites, honey, vegetable oil and mix just until all dry ingredients are moist. Do not over mix.
- Stir into batter; fill muffin tins ¾ full.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15-17 minutes.