Skip energy drinks, try this smoothie for a pick-me-up
Looking to break up your morning routine or a different kind of afternoon treat? Try this smoothie recipe filled with ingredients to give you a lift (and that are good for you).
This recipe comes from the Texas Children’s Hospital Adolescent Bariatric Cooking Class that Baylor College of Medicine students help host. The nutrition class features healthier recipes for patients and their families who are part of the bariatric surgery program at Texas Children’s Hospital.
While there are set ingredients, you can pick and choose your favorites to customize this nutrient-packed smoothie.
Put ingredients into your blender or drink mixer of choice in the following order:
- Greens: Add a handful of leafy greens. This can be spinach leaves or other dark greens like swiss chard or collard greens.
- Banana: Add 1/3 of a fresh or frozen ripe banana.
- Fruit: Add ½ cup of fresh or frozen berries (think blueberry or raspberry or strawberry).
- Spice: Add a slice of ginger (about the size of a quarter).
- Sweet: Add 1 tsp. of honey.
- Unsweetened yogurt: Add 2 tbsp.
- Nuts: Add 10 of any nuts that you like (pecans, walnuts, or almonds).
- Water: Add a generous cup.
- Ice: Add a few pieces if you did not use frozen fruit.
This recipe makes a single serving.
Learn more about the TCH Adolescent Bariatric Cooking Class
Discover more dietitian-recommended recipes