Do you want to try a “Meatless Monday” dish but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen? The following is an easy recipe using red lentils. If you aren’t familiar with them, they cook in 15 minutes and don’t require soaking. I buy them at Whole Foods Market or HEB.
Red Lentil Curry
- 1 cup dry red lentils, rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 package shredded carrots or 2 fresh carrots, grated
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 bag fresh spinach
- 1 bag frozen chopped onions
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 2 tbsps. chopped or crushed ginger
- 2 tsps. curry powder
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, sauté onions, carrots, red pepper, garlic and ginger in the olive oil until the onions turn brown.
- Add red lentils and vegetable broth and cook for 15 minutes until moisture is absorbed.
- During the last minute, add the spinach and cook until wilted. Delicious!
Check out our other dietitian-recommended recipes.
-By Roberta Anding, registered dietitian at Baylor College of Medicine