Three vegetables – red kidney beans, mushrooms, and carrots – serve as the basis of these fritters.
These taste best when they’re served fresh from the skillet, and just like crabcakes, may be served on a bed of salad greens, or as an appetizer on their own.
This recipe provides an easy way to add more beans to your diet, which are an important source of plant-based protein.
Red Bean Mushroom Fritters
- 6 oz. cremini or portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup rolled oats [old-fashioned]
- 1 can (15 oz) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tsp. salt
- 1 Tsp. paprika
- 1 Tsp. soy sauce [low sodium]
- 2 Tbsps. tomato paste
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1. Coarsely mash kidney beans.
2. Mix all ingredients together except for bread crumbs.
3. Form into small patties.
4. Let sit in fridge for 30 minutes to help fritters maintain shape when cooking.
5. Place Panko bread crumbs on plate, and gently press fritters into bread crumbs.
6. Heat 2 tbsps. olive oil in skillet on medium heat.
7. Cook patties 4-5 minutes until brown, then flip and repeat.
-By Dr. Rajani Katta, professor of dermatology at Baylor College of Medicine