This recipe, from Baylor College of Medicine’s Sugar, Heart and Life program is packed with flavor and delivers it in only 170 calories per serving.
Sugar, Heart and Life is an interactive web experience for patients with diabetes and their families.
It features a guide to understanding diabetes, tips for eating at home and on the go, interactive games, information on how to accurately read food labels and planning for physical activity.
- 1 lb. fish, swordfish or halibut steaks
- ½ tsp. Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 8 medium tortillas, flour
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 large mango
- 1 large tomato
- 1 small cucumber
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, fresh
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper
- 1 medium green onion
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse; pat dry. Cut fish crosswise into ¾-inch slices; sprinkle with Jamaican jerk seasoning.
- Place fish strips in a greased grill basket. Grill fish on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals for 8 to 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork, turning the basked once hallway through grilling time.
- Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil. Place at edge of grill; heat for 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- To serve, fill warm tortillas with spinach, fish and mango salsa.
- In a large bowl combine 1 large mango, peeled, seeded and chopped; 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped; 1 small cucumber, seeded and chopped; 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro; 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped; 1 thinly sliced green onion; and 1 tablespoon lime juice.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving time. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Learn more about Sugar, Heart and Life: A guide to living with diabetes .
Read more about Sugar, Heart and Life interactive game Create-A-Plate.
Find more healthy recipes on our blog.