This quiche is an easy recipe: just layer in chopped spinach, add eggs and milk, top with cheese, and bake.
It’s a departure from traditional quiche. This version uses less cheese and nixes the heavy cream, but it still has a light, fluffy texture. The addition of feta cheese as a topping means that you can add more flavor with a smaller dose of cheese.
While this recipe uses an unbaked pie crust as the base, it tastes just fine without the pie crust. Leave out the crust, prepare it the same way otherwise, add the ingredients to a greased pie plate, and call it a frittata.
As for the spinach, we use an entire 9 ounce package, but feel free to adjust it to your family’s taste.
- 1 frozen 9-inch unbaked pie shell
- 1/2 package frozen chopped spinach (9-ounce package)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk (non-dairy or 2 percent dairy)
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook spinach in microwave per package directions.
- Spread cooked spinach in pie shell.
- In mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, flour, salt, and basil.
- Pour egg mixture over spinach.
- Sprinkle feta cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
-By Dr. Rajani Katta, clinical assistant professor of immunology, allergy and rheumatology at Baylor College of Medicine