This crunch broccoli salad, courtesy Baylor College of Medicine’s Sugar, Heart and life program, makes eight servings and is packed with your favorite picnic flavors at only 178 calories.
Sugar, Heart and Life is an interactive web experience for patients with diabetes and their families. It features a guide to understanding diabetes, tips for eating at home and on the go, interactive games, information on how to accurately read food labels and planning for physical activity.
Crunch Broccoli Salad
- 1 large bunch of fresh broccoli, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 4 strips of bacon, broiled crisp and crumbled
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup reduced calorie mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 cup sugar or substitute
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- Mix together broccoli, onion, bacon, raisins and walnuts in a salad bowl. These ingredients will keep, covered in the refrigerator for four days.
- Combine ingredients for dressing in shaker container.
- Pour dressing over salad just before serving. Toss and serve.