Looking for a simple yet filling recipe to enjoy after a long day?
At 150 calories per serving (recipe makes five servings), this low-fat charro beans recipe from the Baylor College of Medicine Sugar, Heart and Life Program will satisfy your hunger without the extra calories.
Sugar, Heart and Life is an interactive web experience for patients with diabetes and their families. It features a guide to understanding diabetes, tips for eating at home and on the go, interactive games, information on how to accurately read food labels and planning for physical activity.
Low-Fat Charro Beans
- 1 can red beans
- 1 cup low-fat turkey, chopped and cooked
- ½ white onion
- 1 ripe tomato
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Cut onion and tomatoes into medium-sized dice. Sauté onions for five minutes in olive oil.
- Add garlic and cook another two minutes.
- Drain beans and add to pan, mixing well.
- Add tomatoes, mix and remove from heat.
- Add one cup low-fat turkey, cooked and chopped.
- Once removed from heat, add chopped cilantro and jalapeno then serve. If you want more liquid in your beans you may add a bit of chicken broth and simmer before mixing in the tomatoes.
Check out our other dietitian-recommended recipes.