Recently, Baylor College of Medicine students helped host a class on nutrition, featuring healthier recipes, to a group of patients and families who are part of the bariatric surgery program at Texas Children’s Hospital. They shared with us their recipe for apple crisp – a delicious treat packed with flavors like cinnamon and fresh apples.
- 4 large Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tbsps. butter, melted
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- Spread the apples evenly in an 8 inch square glass baking dish. A deep dish glass pie plate will also work. In a medium bowl, mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, oats, flour, cinnamon and allspice. Sprinkle this topping evenly over the apples.
- Cook on full power in the microwave for 10 to 12 minutes, until apples can easily be pierced with a knife. Enjoy!
The students who worked with the bariatric surgery program are part of the CHEF organization at Baylor College of Medicine. Read more about the CHEF elective and organization.
Get more recipes from Momentum.