Momentum

Healthy Habits: Dr. Nabil Mansour starts the day by planning his meals

It can sometimes be difficult to find ways to stay healthy, so we’ve asked members of our Baylor College of Medicine community to share what they do in their daily lives to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Nabil Mansour, gastroenterologist and assistant professor in the Margaret M. and Albert B. Alkek Department of Medicine, shares some of his healthy habits with us.

Question: What health decisions start your day?

Answer: I plan out what I’m going to eat for the entire day and make sure it’s within my calorie goals.

Q: What is your go-to healthy breakfast?

A: To be honest, most of the time I do not have breakfast. If I do, it’s usually something small like a banana and/or yogurt. The rare times I have a full breakfast, it will usually be mainly eggs.

Q: What is your favorite type of exercise?

A: I do cardio on a stationary bike three days per week and some light to moderate weight training with dumbbells three days per week.

Q: What keeps you motivated during your workout?

A: My main motivation is just knowing that I’m doing what’s best for my overall health and well-being. Also, it’s important to note that I had been overweight/obese for most of my adult life, but seeing the results of my recent lifestyle changes has kept me motivated to continue.

Q: What activities do you do when you can’t fit in a full workout?

A: I will take the stairs at work.

Q: What is your favorite healthful snack?

A: A small amount of nuts or Greek yogurt.

Q: Do you use an activity tracker or Fitbit and what is your daily step goal?

A: I do use an activity tracker but I don’t have a strict daily step goal as I try to get at least 30 minutes of dedicated exercise six days per week. I also use an app to track my food and macronutrient intake to make sure I stay within my goals.

Q: What is your favorite health tip that you live by?

A: Don’t drink your calories. It’s very easy to take in a large number of calories by drinking beverages high in sugar and/or fat. I make sure my calories are “worth it” by choosing filling items with a focus on relatively high protein intake.