From a virtual wilderness to the heart of the Texas Medical Center, Baylor College of Medicine has played an important role in Houston’s medical and education history.
On May 1, the Texas Historical Commission recognized Baylor’s place in Texas history through a dedication and unveiling of the Roy and Lillie Cullen Building as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.
The event, led by President, CEO and Executive Dean Dr. Paul Klotman, drew members of the Baylor community, former students returning for alumni reunion weekend, as well as former Texas Governor Mark White and former Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst.
Chancellor Emeritus Dr. William T. Butler, Dr. Edward C. Ming Chen with the Harris County Historical Commission, and Corbin J. Robertson, grandson of Roy and Lillie Cullen for which the College building is named, all spoke at the event.
Once located in Dallas, Baylor University College of Medicine moved to Houston in 1943, with the help of the MD Anderson Foundation. The foundation gave the College 20 acres of wooded land, which Baylor calls home today.
The Cullen building is the first Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in the Texas Medical Center.
Learn more about Baylor’s history.
-By Audrey M. Marks