Momentum

Therapy dogs provide comfort to chemotherapy patients

Nearing the end of her chemotherapy treatment, Galvestonian June Merrell knew she was in for a long day at the Baylor Infusion Center. But her long day – treatment from about 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. – quickly brightened up with a surprise visit from Sadie, a golden retriever and pet therapy dog.

Sadie is part of a pet therapy program called Faithful Paws sponsored by Bellaire United Methodist Church. The program includes a team of organized volunteers who train animals to administer unconditional love and therapy to adults and children in nursing homes, hospitals and health clinics.

“I am a dog lover so I enjoyed my visit with Sadie. It was a highlight in my long day of treatment,” said Merrell, who was diagnosed with cancer in October.

Like Merrell, most patients find comfort in the Faithful Paws visits at the Baylor Clinic.

“The patients have had a really positive response to the therapy dogs,” said Samantha Khan, manager of the Baylor Infusion Center. “We had a new patient who started her chemotherapy on one of the days that the therapy dogs were visiting. One of the dogs stopped at that patient’s chair and crawled into the patient’s lap and laid her head on her chest. The patient really felt like the dog sensed her fear and knew that she needed comfort that day.”

The staff looks forward to seeing the dogs as well – even physicians come back and visit the dogs, said Khan. “I think it has been therapeutic for all of us.”

-This story originally appeared in the February issue of BCM Family.

One thought on “Therapy dogs provide comfort to chemotherapy patients

• What a beautiful story on the power of our furry friends, and us as humans. I know of many nursing homes that have therapy dogs and now illnesses like cancer, PTSD and depression also seeing positive results. Great read!

Reply