Momentum

Growing Up Baylor: Dr. Wesley Mayer

Dr. Wesley Mayer

Imagine studying, training and eventually working at the same institution during the span of your career. A special group of physicians, faculty members, researchers and staff at Baylor College of Medicine have had this unique experience.

Dr. Wesley Mayer, associate professor and vice chair of education in the Scott Department of Urology and assistant dean of Graduate Medical Education at Baylor College of Medicine, tells us how training and working at Baylor has impacted his life and career.

Question: Did you always know you wanted to study medicine/science?

Answer: I’ve always wanted to be a doctor ever since I was 4 years old, after a formative experience.  I’ve never really thought about or considered anything else for as long as I have any conscious memories!

Q: Where and when did your journey with Baylor College of Medicine start?

A: One day in college, my mom asked me if I had heard of Baylor. I said, “Isn’t that in Waco?” She explained that it was this amazing medical school in Houston. I am an east-coaster from Philadelphia and went to college in New York. I had never stepped foot in Texas, let alone considered going to medical school there, but I figured I would check it out. The Texas Medical Center blew me away and I wanted to learn in such an amazing environment. Thankfully, Baylor accepted me!

Q: What is your favorite memory from being a student at Baylor?

A: This is difficult because there are so many! I would have to say the “End of Basic Science Ball” because that was the first night I went out with my fellow classmate and now wife!  However, a very close runner-up has to be lectures by Frank Kretzer, which were “positively elegant!” to use his words.

Q: What inspired you to continue working at Baylor?

A: After going to medical school at Baylor, I went back home to Philadelphia to the University of Pennsylvania for my urology residency. Although it was an incredible experience, there is nothing quite like the TMC, so I was eager to return. After a few years on faculty at a neighboring institution, I realized that Baylor was a better fit for my passion for educational leadership and scholarship.

Q: Knowing what you know now, what you would you tell your younger self?

A: Stay busy, be available and be responsive. Get involved in a variety of things and it will help you more completely understand where your passions lay, will open your network of professional connections and will help you form varied competencies.

Q: What do you think makes the program at Baylor unique?

A: Baylor Graduate Medical Education affords unmatched diversity in training experiences and patient populations, exceptional graduated autonomy, unparalleled opportunities for scholarly activity and unique leadership avenues one can pursue.

Q: Do you have advice for current trainees?

A: Stay positive. Soak up every bit of feedback/advice you get and view it in a positive/productive way, no matter how it feels in the moment.

Q: How has sticking with Baylor programs and ultimately becoming a faculty member impacted your life/career?

A: At Baylor, I received exceptional mentorship, gained leadership experience in Baylor’s complex educational infrastructure and had the freedom to pursue my clinical interests. This resulted in opportunities to participate nationally and internationally in multiple arenas while also being able to interact with some of the most talented and promising future physicians here at Baylor.

Q: Do you have a mantra? If so, what is it?

A: Never become complacent over any success.