Momentum

Growing Up Baylor: Dr. Meha Fox

Dr. Meha Fox

Imagine studying, training and eventually working at the same institution during the span of your career. A special group of physicians, faculty members, researchers and staff at Baylor College of Medicine have had this unique experience.

Dr. Meha Fox, assistant professor in the Bobby R. Alford Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine, tells us how training and working at Baylor has impacted her life and career.

Question: Did you always know you wanted to study medicine/science?

Answer: I decided I wanted to be a doctor after doing a pig lung dissection in high school and through a class that facilitated shadowing physicians during my last two years of high school. The consistent exposure to different specialties and practice settings showed me the impactful and intellectually stimulating work a career in medicine can provide.

Q: Where and when did your journey with Baylor College of Medicine start?

A: I interviewed with Baylor as a part of the Baylor University – Baylor College of Medicine B.A.-M.D. program during my last year of high school. After that, I was engaged with Baylor for yearly meetings throughout college. I moved to Houston for medical school after that.

Q: What is your favorite memory from being a student at Baylor?

A: I recall being on the congenital heart surgery service at Texas Children’s Hospital. I was in daily awe of the complex pathology and surgeries we can perform to change the course of a person’s life. The people the medical center attracts – doctors, patients and staff – are a unique group and this was palpable during that rotation.

Q: What inspired you to continue working at Baylor?

A: The reason I came back to Baylor for the faculty position was because of the unique opportunity Baylor provides to care for our community. Our hospital affiliates, including Harris Health, Michael E. DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Baylor St Luke’s, serve the Houston community to provide state-of-the-art medical and surgical care. I wanted to be a part of that service. I also saw unique opportunities for education and research collaboration across the institution. Lastly,  my colleagues in the department and across the college inspire me and make work enjoyable. Baylor has a unique ability to collect workers who are committed to high-quality work.

Q: Knowing what you know now, what you would you tell your younger self?

A: Dream bigger while staying humble. Learn as much as you can, even if it’s not your exact area of practice, because that knowledge may help someone someday.

Q: What do you think makes the program at Baylor unique?

A: The Texas Medical Center provides unparalleled training and collaboration opportunities. Baylor’s location and collaborations with TMC institutions also provides unique training opportunities.

Q: Do you have advice for current trainees?

A: Learn as much as you can, even if it’s not your exact area of practice interest, because that knowledge may help someone someday. Our best ideas don’t always come from within our field; they often arise from other fields in and out of medicine. Learn those things and apply them to your work. Be the doctor you would want to take care of yourself and your family.

Q: How has sticking with Baylor programs and ultimately becoming a faculty member impacted your life/career?

A: The knowledge I have gathered in my time here from the different institutions and individuals across the TMC has allowed me to be more effective in a short time. I know who to call for help and how to get things done. Most people spend the first few years of their jobs learning those things. The relationships I’ve invested in over the years have also resulted in some of my best sponsors. These people have said my name in rooms that I was not yet invited to based on my prior work as a trainee; this has contributed greatly to my success in the first few years of my young career.

Q: Do you have a mantra? If so, what is it?

A: A few – Lead by example. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Challenge yourself to be a little better every day.