The Stitch

Not just another breast cancer patient

Sandra Reyes smiles with a large group

In July 2023, Sandra Reyes was preparing for her upcoming retirement. Her mother urged her to undergo a thorough health examination, which included several tests, including a mammogram and bone density test. What Sandra expected to be a standard mammogram turned into a life-changing moment when doctors spotted a small mass. Shortly after, she had a biopsy and was diagnosed with stage two triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC).

“I was dumbfounded when they called me at work with the news,” Reyes said. “Cancer hadn’t touched my family before – my parents are in their 80s and perfectly healthy. I just wasn’t expecting this.”

TNBC is a type of breast cancer in which common treatments, like hormone therapy, won’t work, and it has a higher recurrence rate. In stage two, the tumor is bigger than 2 centimeters and may have spread to nearby lymph nodes, but it hasn’t reached other parts of the body. Treatment mainly involves chemotherapy to try to shrink the cancer.

Her doctors in San Antonio wanted to schedule a lumpectomy for the next week. But Reyes’ niece, concerned about the rapid timeline proposed for surgery, encouraged her to seek a second opinion. That’s when Reyes connected with Dr. Alastair Thompson, a breast surgical oncologist and professor and chief of breast surgery at Baylor, along with her oncologist Dr. Ahmed Elkhanany, assistant professor of hematology and oncology, and her plastic surgeon Dr. Sebastian Winocour, professor and associate chief in the Division of Plastic Surgery.

“It was a scary time in my life and if it weren’t for my amazing team – Dr. Thompson, Dr. Elkhanany and Dr. Winocour – I don’t know how I would have made it through,” she said. “And I have to thank my niece, who made sure I found the best doctors.”

Despite the shock of the diagnosis, Reyes remained steadfast in her faith. “I have a really strong faith, and I felt like the Lord would go before me,” she said. This inner strength helped her navigate the complex and emotional journey ahead, but it was the compassionate care she received from her medical team that truly carried her through.

One of the most meaningful moments for Reyes was when Thompson informed her she wouldn’t need radiation therapy due to her double mastectomy. “I was so happy, I cried,” she said.

When a patient undergoes a double mastectomy, the surgeon removes both breasts along with the surrounding tissue, which significantly reduces the risk of cancer returning to that area. Because the breast tissue is entirely removed, radiation therapy often is not needed after this procedure, unlike in cases where a lumpectomy is performed, where some breast tissue remains, and radiation is used to prevent recurrence. This approach can be particularly relevant for patients with aggressive cancers, such as triple-negative breast cancer, where the risk of recurrence is higher.

“The benefit of a double mastectomy is that it eliminates breast tissue, which is the source of potential future cancer development,” Thompson said. “This can provide peace of mind for patients concerned about recurrence.”

Reyes said all her doctors were empathetic and patient with her. “Dr. Thompson is an excellent doctor – he’s gentle, caring and takes his time explaining everything. I never felt rushed.”

This theme of patient-centered care continued with Elkhanany and Winocour. Elkhanany went out of his way to be present when Reyes rang the bell marking the end of her chemotherapy treatments in March 2024. “He told me to make sure he knew ahead of time so he could be there,” she said. “That meant so much to me.”

Winocour, who performed Reyes’ reconstructive surgery, also stood out for his exceptional patience and attentiveness. “He answered all my questions in depth, and he didn’t make me feel like I was asking too much,” she said. “He never treated me like just another patient.”

This attention to detail extended beyond her doctors to the entire care team, including the infusion center nurses and lab technicians. “The nurse at the infusion center treated me like I was her only patient, even though I know she cared for many others. It didn’t matter who you were, she made everyone feel special,” Reyes said. “The staff at the lab where I got my blood drawn would give me a hug every time I came in. We saw each other so often that it felt like we were family.”

A message of hope and awareness

Reyes’ journey is a testament to the power of surrounding yourself with the right support system – both personally and medically.

Now, Reyes is looking ahead to her final revision surgery in November 2024 and hopes to close this chapter for good. Her message for others is simple but vital: “Don’t skip your mammograms. Early detection saved my life.”

She also stresses the importance of finding doctors who treat you with patience, respect and genuine care. “They were truly genuine and made me feel like I was their only patient,” she said. “And that really matters, especially when you’re going through something as stressful as cancer.”

By Tiffany Harston, senior communications associate in the Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery